Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Introduction to Barn Project

The Winn Barn built in 1916 is without question the most underused asset on the Winn Century Farm (1875). We are currently working to rectify that situation by cleaning it up, and making slight modifications, in order to make this beautiful building a place where people will have memorable events.

This blog will be directed to those who would like to follow the progress and development of this project. I will occasionally throw in miscellaneous Winn happenings that are either helping or hindering that progress. My goal is to share our excitement in big and little step of progress.

When we started the barn had many items of little value and numerous decades old cobwebs, (do those things ever disintegrate on their own?), mice and their turds, many layers of cow, chicken, pig, and sheep poo mixed with straw and urine. Yep, a lovely concoction!

We made several trips to the dump with junk, and sold some stuff at a yard sale, torn down, now unneeded, fences or dividers that were erected in a typical farmer style. (lots of baling twine and wire) I started hosing down the cobwebs, and poo. Much work later the "dairy side" of the barn is now presentable.

4 comments:

Kendra Joy said...

First, I am excited to be your first comment.

Second, you are right! The Diary side is VERY presentable! It doesn't even resemble the barn I know! Well done.

I'm excited to see further pictures and read more stories of the progress (not to mention, see the progress in person next month).

Caris Power said...

Darn, Kendra beat me for the first comment!! I am so glad you guys are doing this project. I think it is a great idea. And I have still yet to actually see the inside of the barn after all these years. Maybe sometime soon. Love you guys lots!!

Caris

Suzanne said...

Oh how I love that barn! I never tire of looking at it. It was great to see the progress being made when we were there a few weeks ago. Thank you for taking care of this Winn heritage with such love and hard work!

clucker said...

Hey -- now I know for sure Daniel can do a great job on the Camp Cherith kitchen and dining room floors! Looking forward to watching your progress -- I'm so glad that you're caring for this great piece of Winn heritage -- maybe someday we'll shoot a wedding there!!

Love, The Cluck ~:o)