Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Barnyard Improvements- Steps

The largest part of the Barnyard is bi level. For the young, physically fit, work boot wearing person traversing the slope is not problematic. Wedding party members in dress shoes and guests with mobility challenges is a different matter. I have been concerned about making it easier for our more delicate guest by adding steps for quite some time. Preston was reluctant to mess with his lawn mowing routine and adding obstacles to the area. I maintain that it would reduce his work load and add more to mine: more flower beds and less lawn. Of course, getting the steps put in would probably add more to his work load. That might be why he was dragging his feet.

Then there is the decision making:
Where do the steps go? Between the two old locust trees and away from irrigation lines
How big should they be? 5 feet wide to comfortably accommodate at least two people and fancy dresses
What materials should we use? Redwood 4x4 stacked two high and re-bar.
Our pastor and friend Bill Dobos came by to check on us, and got in on some of the work. removing the sod.



almost done... my back is killing me...

Nice work ....Looking good, but ... I really think we need one more step.

Now it just needs the flowerbeds on either side, and steppable plants on the walking surface. I think I will transplant more plants from my yard into this new project.

1 comment:

Kendra Joy said...

Nice work, Dad!! You're just so stinkin' handy. Your poor back, though!

And I love the progression pictures you share here, mom. It's like I get to see it all happen even though I'm not there. :) I can envision this being a beautiful stairway full of life.